Sunday 23 January 2011

Troup Head gannets

I hadn't realised until very recently that gannets started returning to their nest sites as early as January. Puffins don't return until later, so I had somehow assumed that gannets were the same, yet I sat in Arran at Christmas watching gannets (from Ailsa Craig) diving for fish - so I *know* there are at least some around all year. Something I need to find out more about I think.


Anyway, some photos here from a trip to Troup Head, near Fraserburgh in Aberdeenshire. A good way of 'drowning my sorrows' after yet again coming 2nd in a job interview...


"I wish my upstairs neighbour would hurry up and finish his housekeeping"


 Time for a snooze

Ok, I know this last photo isn't gannets - it's fulmars. This pair spent the whole time I was there apparently arguing with each other!


No comments: