Saturday 13 July 2013

Dolphins in the Mist

On Monday we were supposed to be going on an RSPB boat trip to Fowlsheugh. It was a beautiful day - roasting hot - so I headed into Aberdeen early to spend some time watching the dolphins before meeting Simon after work and heading to Stonehaven for the boat trip. It must have been the hottest day of the year so far, but I was well equipped with sun cream, sun hat, water, etc.

I reached the harbour, and the dolphins were pretty active...



The harbour was, as usual, busy with ships going in and out the the pilot boat being kept busy.


After only around 5 minutes though, a bank of mist started to roll in. The dolphins were still playful, viewed through the mist as it rolled in and out...




Then I received a phone call to say that the mist bank stretched for over 5 miles down the coast and - on top of that - there were 2 metre waves off Stonehaven and conditions at Fowlsheugh were worsening so the boat trip was cancelled. We were really disappointed, especially as conditions everywhere else were perfect, and I'm sure the trip would still have been really enjoyable. I suppose as it was an RSPB trip though, the idea was to get close to the birds, and that would be more challenging in the conditions and there would be no decent view of the cliff scenery with the mist.


So I stayed around the harbour in the mist for 1½ hours waiting for Simon to finish work. It did get significantly colder in the mist and a stiff breeze sprung up, so I was very glad to have the extra layer of clothes I'd packed in anticipation of the boat trip.

 Luckily the mist kept clearing a little so I could still see the dolphins, who seemed to be fairly active for 5-10 minutes and then not in sight for 10-15 minutes. Some even came right inside the harbour at one point.


I did get a wee treat to make up for the disappointment of the boat trip being cancelled, as the dolphins put on their most impressive move for me - a perfectly timed pair jumping in opposite directions forming a perfect circle. Wow!




No comments: