Sunday 23 November 2008

Ayr Santa Dash - part 1

I'm just back in from Ayr Santa Dash. It's a fundraiser for the Ayrshire Hospice - and also part of the Christmas Light Switch-on party in Ayr. I was so intrigued by the idea of the Santa Dash that I had to go - even though it's not a very nice day (cold wind, sleety rain ...). I'm really glad I went though - I've had a great afternoon. Got well kitted up - thermals, waterproofs, hat .... and camera. There were about 300 Santas doing the 5km run/walk. They've raised in the region of £8000. I got lots of photos (will upload some when I get time) - there was a lovely, friendly atmosphere at it and adults, children & dogs alike were all dressed as Santa!

The fun run went along the esplanade, so I went along there for a bit and then went a walk along the beach. Cold, but my back was to the wind luckily, and the light was lovely. Lots of oystercatchers about too. Then I headed off to Wellington Square to the big stage - the Santa Dash finishes just by Wellington Square and there is entertainment laid on - and the Red Hot Chilli Pipers were part of it - so I stayed to see them. The act before them was pretty good and warmed the crowd up a bit - but the party really got going when the Chillies came on. They were fantastic - that's the first time I've heard AC/DC played on the bagpipes, let alone jazz and Hey Jude!!! They also did some fantastic traditional tunes and really got the crowd dancing and clapping along.

The event was building up to the 'climax' when I left - well, the switching on of the Christmas lights by 2 guys who were, I think, from Big Brother may have been the climax for some - but certainly wasn't for me, especially after the Red Hot Chilli Pipers had finished their set, so I headed off home for a hot drink and more lesson planning and making of resources.

No comments: