Sunday 10 July 2011

Surf landing

After shuttling the cars we arrived back at Macduff and our supplies of dry clothes. Ian reckoned the rest would be a good hour yet before reaching Macduff, so he decided to take the 3 boats we'd had back to the club compound. I decided to go to the Co-op to replace the sun cream which I'd lost during the morning's launch through surf, and then to head to Portsoy to see the traditional boats all depart from the festival.

I didn't make it to Portsoy though, as when I came out of the Co-op I could see paddlers in the distance, so I decided to stay and watch them landing, interested to watch (and learn) as they landed in surf, and hoping none of them would repeat our exploits from lunchtime. The surf was rather bigger in Macduff though...


Shaun made surfing these large waves look easy, but I was suspecting that it wasn't nearly as easy as he made it look...


Paddlers kept appearing and then disappearing into the toughs.




Some people made it look easy, and gave a great demonstration (which I found very useful to watch) of what Alan, our coach, was telling us at lunchtime.





Further out, however, there was a drama about to unfold....

No comments: