Thursday 3 February 2011

Lunar Eclipse

No, this isn't something you all missed last night. This was on 21st December, but I'm only getting round to blogging about it now!

My photos aren't good at all - but it was great to see this historic event all the same. I call it 'historic' because it's only the 2nd time in the last 2000 years that a lunar eclipse has occurred on the winter solstice. The last time it happened was in 1638. The next one will apparently be in 2094, but I don't suppose I'll be around for that one, so I'm glad that the skies were clear enough to see this one.


Looking towards the orange moon above my neighbour's house.



Back down to my house, and a nice solstice sunrise.


This was definitely a nice way to celebrate the solstice.

If you want to see really good photos of the eclipse, I'd recommend having a look at this blog. Stunning!

.

No comments: