Thursday 17 February 2011

Rosehearty Tower

From a distance along the coast, looking towards Roseheaty (near Fraserburgh in Aberdeenshire), you can see what looks like a lighthouse. However, it isn't a lighthouse - it's the Rosehearty Tower. I visited on a dull, grey, drizzly day...


I was a bit intrigued by the tower, and wondered if it had ever been a lighthouse, so looked it up when I got home. It was an observation tower for the former bombing range at Rosehearty. It was apparently operational as a RAF bombing range from the 1950s until 2000, when the buildings were sold off.

Apparently the tower has bomb-proof and bullet-proof windows and cost £750,000 to build. It was sold for a mere tenth of that and is now a private house, with, I'd imagine, a great view.

The real lighthouse in Rosehearty is a beacon on the end of the pier. I'm not sure whether it's operational or not.


The fishing boats were all ashore, presumably for shelter from the winter storms.

No comments: